Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Fabric used

Good Morning!


On one of my groups, Stashbusters, they have had a challenge the past few years called "100 yard dash from stash". One year I kept track and was amazed at how much I used.

This year I have decided to keep track of all my fabric usage. To be counted, the project must be done with binding or my part is done and it has been passed on to someone else for finishing. For example...I make children's quilts to be donated to a local domestic violence center. I make the top and then pass that on to a friend of mine who has a long arm. She finishes the quilting and binding. So, once the top is out of my house, for my calculations, it is "done."

This being said, I have already used 56 yards of fabric this year. Yesterday, I mailed out three boxes to a friend who makes quilts for homeless shelters. I sent her 210 string blocks, 2 completed quilt tops, 100 log cabin blocks, and 24 chinese coins blocks. Roughly estimated at the 56 yards. All of those blocks and tops had some work that needed to be done. That is what I did the week between Christmas and January 4th.

I am going to try and keep track of the amount of time I spend sewing, also. So far in January I have spent roughly 20 hours sewing. I was working really hard to finish up the things I mentioned previously.

So far this year I am off to a good start. Let's hope I can keep the momentum going.

Keep Sewing!!

Darlene

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Darlene - Thanks for visiting my blog. I can't believe that only 6 days into January and you already had 20 hours. I'm lucky if I can squeeze in a few hours each week and MAYBE get 20 in a month. Good luck with the stash busting this year! ~Sarah

Mary Johnson said...

You are up to a good start! I feel the same way and hope the rest of the year will go the same way for me...I like being productive but you certainly beat me in stash used. Because I quilt so many of the HeartStrings tops using backings from Sheree and other members, my projects (and stash) don't get as much use. I did use 133 yards last year and will try to use as much if not more this year.